Summer Apple Rhubarb Galette
When summer hits, a galette is the most requested dessert from my family! I like to think of it as a shortcut one-crust pie but even easier. By definition, it’s a “french pastry similar to a tart or pie, essentially pastry dough wrapped over a filling made from fruit, sugar, and butter”. Sounds yummy right? I’ve made a few variations of this recipe with mixed berries and cherries, so this year I thought I’d try something a little different. This Summer Apple Rhubarb Galette has all the classic feels of apple pie with a twist of added rhubarb and sweetness. I’m joining my blogger friends again for the Seasonal Simplicity Summer Series, so be sure to visit all the bloggers listed below who are also sharing their yummy recipes!
Summer Apple Rhubarb Galette
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter cold, cubed
- 4 tsp ice water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups granny smith apples peeled and sliced
- 1 cup rhubarb chopped
- 1 tsp coarse or granulated sugar
- vanilla ice cream optional
- Mix flour with granulated sugar in stand mixer. Add butter and combine until crumbs form. With mixer running, slowly add ice water and lemon juice. Continue mixing until just until dough comes together.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lay a large piece of parchment paper on counter and sprinkle with flour. Pat pastry dough into a ball. Dust rolling pin with flour and roll pastry on parchment into a circle, about 12 in. wide. Pastry will be thin and edges uneven. Transfer parchment and pastry to baking sheet.
- Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl. Stir in peeled and sliced apples and chopped rhubarb until coated. Tumble mixture onto centre of pastry. Fold pastry over, just to cover edge of fruit. Centre of galette should not be covered with pastry and edges will be uneven. Lightly brush pastry with water and sprinkle with course sugar.
- Cover the exposed fruit with foil and bake until pastry is just about golden and mixture is starting to bubble, 25 min. Remove foil and bake 15 more minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
This Summer Apple Rhubarb Galette is so easy to whip up it’s perfect for a casual family get together or evening at the cottage. It’s kid-friendly too! Have your little ones help peel or mix the apples or roll out the pastry. I know it will become one of your family favourites too! For another yummy treat, check out my Cherry Galette .
Thanks for stopping by today, I love it when you visit! Hope you give my Summer Apple Rhubarb Galette a try. Now it’s time to visit my other friends who are sharing their summer recipes today!
This week, some of my blogging friends and I are sharing our favourite summer recipe ideas. Just click on the links below the images to be taken to see their full posts.
Grilled Zucchini with Parmesan on the BBQ at The Happy Housie
The BEST. Summer Salad at My 100 Year Old Home
Summer Corn, Blueberry and Avocado Salad at Cassie Bustamante
Lobster Rolls at Home at Finding Silver Pennies
Easy Skillet Nachos at She Gave it a Go
Rhubarb Cloud Dessert at A Pretty Life
Summer Apple Rhubarb Galette at Life is Better at Home
Summer Pavlova at Life is a Party
Lemon Rosewater Cookies at This is Simplicite
Cherry Rhubarb Crisp in Mini Skillets at Satori Design for Living
Cherry Pie Ice Cream at Jenna Kate at Home
Berry Crisp on the Grill at Clean & Scentsible
Sheet Pan Lemon Bars at My Sweet Savannah
Thank you for sharing Judy, this looks so delicious. Can’t wait to make this soon. Do you have a favourite brand of vanilla ice cream?
I’m so glad Dyanne! Well, we love Rocky Point Ice Cream in our house and they do take away pints 🙂
I can see why it’s requested: looks so pretty and delicious! Anything with rhubarb and I’m in! Enjoy your summer 🙂
Thank you, Shauna! Right?!? Rhubarb is SO underrated!!! You as well! Xx
this looks delicious! i love the idea of apple rhubarb- i have seen it more often with strawberry.
Thanks Cassie! Yes, not as common but very tasty 🙂
Galettes are always such pretty desserts and this one sounds amazing! Love the addition of the rhubarb!
Thanks, Jenn! They are a summer staple around here 🙂 Hope you’re having a great summer so far!
I love strawberry and rhubarb together. This looks so delicious! Can’t wait to try your recipe and to check out the cherry version, too.
Oh I hope you do Danielle!! Enjoy your summer 🙂