Krause Berry Farms Visit: Crumble Recipe
Nothing says summer like picking fresh berries, right?!? We’ve always enjoyed picking blackberries at the cottage and a couple of years ago we picked cherries for the first time in the Okanagan. It inspired us to go apple picking in the fall. Now we can add blueberries and raspberries to the list. I first visited Krause Berry Farms this spring for a baby shower and fell in love! I decided then and there I’d be back with the kids in the summer for berry picking. Come along and join us for a day of fun on our Krause Berry Farms visit and my Crumble Recipe which I’ll share later in the post.
But first waffles! Krause Berry Farms serves fresh waffles with berries daily until 3pm. They taste every bit as good as they look!
Krause Berry Farms & Estate Winery is located in beautiful Langley, BC. It spans over 200 acres, produces berries and vegetables and includes a bakery, market, creamery, harvest kitchen and wine tasting. The day of our visit was the first day for picking blueberries! We rode a 5 min. shuttle bus to the blueberry fields and got right to work.
It wasn’t long before our baskets were very full!
Time to move on to raspberries!
We had such a lovely time on our Krause Berry Farms Visit (and enjoyed all of our berries) we headed back for more and picked blueberries and blackberries this time. They were the perfect combination for my Berry Crumble recipe.
4 cups berries (any combination)
1tbsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup & 3 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
- Butter and flour shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish (I doubled this recipe)
- In large bowl: toss fruit with lemon juice, sugar, 3 tbsp. flour and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Transfer mixture to baking dish.
- In small bowl: combine remaining 1/2 cup flour with oats, brown sugar, salt and remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- With pastry blender or a knife. cut in butter until the mixture is coarse and crumbly. Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Sprinkle the walnut topping over fruit and bake for 30 mins or until the topping is brown.
Serve warm with ice cream and enjoy!
For another yummy recipe for your summer berries, check out my Cherry Galette from last year!
Happy picking and baking! Enjoy the rest of your summer, it will be fall before we know it!