I’m so excited to share this Rio Red Grapefruit and Rosemary Cocktail with you! Perfect for NYE, girls night or any other cozy evening in 🥂 I’m not a fan of overly sweet drinks, and I’m always up for trying cocktails with a savoury twist. It has to be easy and of course it has to look pretty right?!? The rosemary is subtle in this drink, so if you’ve never had a savoury cocktail before, this is a great way to give it a try!
This cocktail is topped with egg white foam which of course is totally optional but I think really adds something special. I’ve had foam in cocktails before and always wondered if I could recreate at home. Well after a bit of searching, I realized just how easy and safe it is. If you use pasteurized egg whites in the carton, any bacteria is killed off in the pasteurizing process so it’s totally safe.
Also the pinch of fresh ground pepper is totally optional as well, depending on how savoury you like your drink.
Rio Red Grapefruit and Rosemary Cocktail Recipe (Makes 1 serving)
3 ounces rio red grapefruit juice
1 1/2 ounces gin
1/2 to 3/4 ounce rosemary simple syrup (recipe below)
Pinch of fresh ground pepper (optional)
Rosemary foam (optional)
Rosemary Simple Syrup Recipe
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup rosemary leaves
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Pour syrup into a sterilized glass jar through a mesh strainer to remove rosemary leaves and let cool.
- Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
TO MAKE COCKTAIL:
- Add juice, gin, rosemary syrup and dash of pepper (if using) to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake for about 20 seconds.
- Strain into glasses and top with rosemary foam. To make foam, add egg whites and 1/2 tsp rosemary simple syrup to dry cocktail shaker (no ice) Shake vigorously for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Top with a sprig of fresh rosemary (optional) and enjoy!
Hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy it as much as we do!
Thanks for following along and inspiring me to create and share with you here at Life Is Better At Home. From our home to yours…wishing you a wonderful 2018!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!