Welcome 2017!! It’s a whole new year and a chance to reflect on the one that’s passed and plan for the one ahead. I like to think about how I can be a better me, for me and my family. As a Mom, I feel like there are things I can always improve on to keep our day-to-day lives running smoothly and my family healthy and happy. But I’m realizing it kinda starts with me… if I’m not running smoothly than it can make for a bumpy road for all of us. This year I’m going to focus on a few things that are important to me and my health AND a few things that I think will benefit all of us.
- GET OUTSIDE: We love the outdoors, but in the winter when it gets cooler we all seem to get a little lazy. You know what I mean…a little too much cozy couch time and not enough outdoor activity and fresh air. Truth: I haven’t been for a run in almost a year. I used to run three days a week, but after our move I had trouble finding the motivation. I’m ready to get back out there and may even register for a 10k in the spring. Tip: Registering for an event is a great way to motivate yourself and stay on track. As a family, getting out for some exercise and fresh air is as simple as remembering to take the dog for a walk. Who by the way is getting a little thick around the middle for a Chihuahua 😉 It’s all about creating a new habit and sticking with it.
- DRINK IT UP: You all know I love my coffee and wine…but I’m talking about WATER people!!! This has been on my list of resolutions the past couple of years and yet still I know I’m not drinking enough. I’ve tried adding lemon and keeping a glass on my desk at work (works great for a week or so) but never seems to stick. There’s a new water bottle I’ve had my eye on and I’m hoping its a start, but I could really use your help on this one!! Send me your tips, I’d love to hear how you drink those 8 glasses a day 🙂
- ORGANIZE ORGANIZE ORGANIZE: Everyone’s got that junk drawer or messy cupboard or closet right?!? Well I’ve got several and feel like they’re taking over! Truth: When it comes to paper like school notices and mail, I pile it all up on the kitchen counter. When the pile gets too big, I start tucking it away in drawers. Problem is I’m running out of drawers in my kitchen!! 🙈 Seriously…this is so embarrassing! Does anyone else do this?!? And don’t get me started on my pantry or walk-in closet. It’s time for us to clean up and get a system in place for all our stuff. Stay tuned for a blog post on this one!
- CONNECT WITH FRIENDS: Ever notice how a week or two or even a month goes by and you haven’t really connected with friends? Like I mean really connected…chatting on the phone, meeting for coffee, going for a hike or getting together for dinner. I miss this. Truth: It’s so easy to text , snapchat and direct message over social media sometimes I forget to make the time to connect in person. Connecting this way is quick and easy, but it shouldn’t be the only way you do. I love my girlfriends! They’re fun, supportive and we always have a good time together…that’s why we’re friends! More girl time this year please!! 🙋
- WHAT TIME IS IT?: Let’s just say I’m a little challenged in the time management department. Truth: I’m always running late. I hate this about myself. I always think I have more time than I do…always trying to squeeze in one more thing before I leave the house or one more stop on my way to pick up the kids. I’m pretty sure others hate this about me too. Tip: I need to be more realistic about what I can actually get accomplished in the amount of time I have. I need to stop myself from doing “that one last thing”. Who knows…I might actually be early for something!
Well, there’s my game plan for the start of 2017! I’m looking forward to making some changes and creating some new habits. And of course, sharing some of them with you! I know change doesn’t happen overnight so it’s a good thing we’ve got a whole year to get it right. What are your goals for this year? Are you working towards some of the same ones as me? Let’s help each other make it a great year! 💛